Gorgeous, let’s talk about Squalane!
Squalane is not new, but it is increasingly being included in skincare products. It is considered to be a natural and very efficient moisturiser, which explains why it is being included in so many positive ageing serums and creams as well as body moisturisers and hair products. It is a very stable oil, even more so than coconut oil! It is naturally produced in our bodies but can also be found in plants, which is where beauty companies extract it from.
Where does it come from?
Squalane is an oil which occurs naturally in the body, bu is also found in olive oil and in the livers of certain sharks (although its no longer common to extract it from shark livers). Although it occurs naturally in our bodies, sadly it declines drastically after the age of 30, which for some people means the start of drier skin. Squalene (with an “e”) is a lipid produced naturally by your own skin cells, this is also found in animals, but it can spoil quickly – so to use it in skincare, it must be hydrogenated into squalane (with an “a”), which is a stable form of the molecule .
What it’s good for
- Restoring the skins optimal moisture levels.
- Reducing the look of fine lines and wrinkles due to its penetrative ability
- It’s believed that squalane can impact on skin issues like hyperpigmentation, scarring and age spots.
- It’s effective as a body moisturiser.
- It can be used for moisturising hair as well.
- Squalane oil doesn’t really form a surface barrier on the skin, like many other oils. It’s thin and fast absorbing and therefore it is much less likely to interfere with the absorption of other products.
- It intercepts free radicals and prevents them from entering the system, also protecting skin from environmental stressors that lead to premature ageing.
What’s to love
- Easily absorbed by the skin AND penetrates deeply helping to repair it.
- Won’t block your pores
- Non irritating
- It’s odorless
- It is amazing at healing chapped lips
- You can even mix it with your makeup for added hydration
- Great for hair care.